171 Union Street
London SE1 0LN
T: 020 7654 0171
Jerwood Space occupies the site of the Orange Street School built in 1872–92. During the 20th century, it transformed into the John Harvard School, London Nautical School, Archbishop Amigo RC School and an ILEA Adult Evening Institute and Teachers’ Training Centre, the John Harvard Centre.
In 1998 it was refurbished by the Jerwood Foundation with architects Paxton Locher to transform the school halls into excellent and affordable rehearsal facilities for dance and theatre companies. The Gallery (once the school’s bike sheds) is home to Jerwood Visual Arts, a year-round programme devised by Jerwood Charitable Foundation. The Glasshouse and Café were originally a playground, lavatories, laundry and workshop, but following work in 2003 by architects Satellite Design, are now open to all to enjoy during the day or to hire for private, business and corporate events.
In 2007, the second floor (lost to bombing in 1940) was restored by architects Munkenbeck+Partners to provide a magnificent suite of rehearsal studios and meeting rooms. The project was once again entirely funded by Jerwood Foundation.
For more information on Jerwood Space and it's history please refer to The Space Beneath the Space document below.